What is spark?
Spark is the equivalent to man hours. If you want to build a home on your property, you require spark hours. For example, to build a town house, you require 2600 spark hours. If you own 2 spark, it will take you 2600/2 = 1300 hours (over 54 days) to build your town house. Your spark does not get “used up”, and after you complete building, or at any time, you can remove your spark from the construction. Spark is non-transferable, and cannot be sold. In the future, there will be an in game spark exchange, where players can rent out their spark. Until then, people are using several discord channels in order to coordinate the rental of their spark. Some of these channels can be found in the directory. In addition to buildings, spark will be used to build any inanimate object in Upland. Beyond homes, in the future you will need spark to build outdoor decor items, and cars.
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding spark and its use.
- How do I get spark?
- I don’t have enough spark to build my own home, what do I do?
- How do I build my own house?
- I have built my own house, what can I do with it?
- Why is my building taking so long to complete?
How do I get Spark?
- Spark was given to all players in Upland as part of the global launch of spark, which took place on May 31, 2021. The amount of spark awarded to each player was a function of in game status, amount of fiat money invested in the game, and activity within the game.
- Spark is awarded as part of special treasure hunts and other contests run by Upland.
- Spark can be found during regular treasure hunts. Depending on which city and what difficulty level of hunt you are doing you can win anywhere from 0.01 to 0.06 spark.
- The first spark sale was sold by Upland for USD in June 2021. Players who won a lottery were able to purchase limited amount of spark at an average rate of $520/spark. They have had several similar sales since.
- Leveling up to Director (1,000,000 UPX) rewards you with 0.5 spark. Getting to Executive (10,000,000 UPX) rewards you with 1 spark, and chief executive (100,000,000 UPX) gets you 2 spark.
- Upland has had several promotions for new players rewarding them spark for leveling up to Uplander (0.05 spark) and Pro (0.1 spark) during specific times.
- In the future, Upland has indicated that there will be always to mine spark. Details on this are not yet clear.
The sale of spark in June was the first indication of Upland placing a price point on spark. It is important to note that once you own spark, it is your to keep. You cannot sell or transfer it to other players.
I don’t have enough spark to build my own house, what do I do with it?
Given that the cheapest structure you can build requires 950 spark hours, and I only have a small fraction of a spark, what are your options? IMPORTANT – you should always have your spark contributing to a build, otherwise you are wasting the resource. The minimum amount of spark required to start a building is 0.1 spark. With this amount, it will take you almost 400 days to build your house!
- Start building your own home! Yes, this could take over a year, but its always a good idea to invest in yourself. Try and get some of your friends to help contribute to your build, or you may rent spark from other players to help you complete your building faster.
- Rent out your spark. Players looking to build their homes faster will pay you for helping them build. Payment is typically done in several ways (agreed upon between the renter and loaner):
- Property visits where the renter pays you through visiting fees
- Buying a “burner” property. You sell a property to the renter for the cost of the property + rental fees + upland seller and buyer fees
- USD – paypal, venmo, etc
- Help me – YK2012. If you find this content helpful and want to help me out, I am currently building at 436 Arlington St, San Francisco. Any help is greatly appreciated! (you are able to remove your spark at any time – you always are in control of your own spark).
How do I build my own house?
Check out the user manual for detailed description and pictures on how to start building on your own property.
I have built my house, what can I do with it?
Right now, nothing. Upland is still developing new features, and this is what we know so far about homes:
- New collections will be spawned based on the amount and types of buildings in a neighborhood
- In the future, you will be able to define your in game home. This will also factor in the calculation of which neighborhoods will spawn new collections
- You will be able to rent out space in your homes (based on the number of living spaces your structure has)
- You will be able to open a business within your home (or rent it out).
- Sell your property on the secondary market (note that the home is tied to the land, and they must be sold together). A property with a home has a higher sale value.
Why is my building taking so long to complete?
Chances are you don’t have a lot of spark. If you have 1 spark, the smallest structure you can build requires 950 spark hours. This means the time it will take is 950 spark hours / 1 spark = 950 hours (appx. 39 days). This means that if you only have 0.15 spark the time it will take is 950 spark hours / 0.15 spark = 6333 hours (264 days or 8.8 months). Read here to find out how to get more spark.