You begin in Upland as a visitor, and as your net worth increases, so does your status within the game. Read here about the different statuses and bonuses for reaching them. As a new player, the following are some of the most common types of strategy. As you begin to level up, your strategy is subject to change as you will see that you have more properties and options. Take a moment to review Dale the Llama’s strategy checklist to help you better narrow down your options.
- Realtor – This type of long term strategy is for active players in the game who are looking to make deals. The realtor isn’t looking to hold on to his properties for long. He is looking to sell them for a profit and move on to the next deal. The realtor is always up to date with the market data for each neighborhood and is quick to jump on a deal when he sees it.
- Curator – This person is a collector. Buying the cheapest properties isn’t for him. This type of player looks for properties that have real world meaning – whether it be a well known address, like a famous person’s house, a store like Starbucks, a church, or a property with a unique street view. He will be willing to pay a premium for it.
- Passive income earner – you currently earn 17.28% yield on mint prices. This number can and will change based on the stability of the economy. (It was announced that the first adjustment of this will be around February 2022 to 14.7%) Buying properties and just letting them sit is a very favorable interest rate. This player is a believer in the metaverse, sees Upland as a good business opportunity and likely will invest hundreds, if not thousands of dollars into this game. The long term strategy is to use the yield earnings to purchase more properties. A number of years into the future, this player will attempt to sell his properties for USD for a large markup. Read more about the economics of Upland in its white paper.
- Builder – Beyond buying properties, a builder is someone who builds structures (buildings) on their land. Beyond structures, in the future any inanimate object including cars will be built in the Metaverse using Spark. Spark is a limited resource, and can be bought at the store during frequent sales as well as found in treasure hunts. Upland sells spark at a rate of $460/spark, which is based on purchasing the maximum amount of spark (1 spark). More can be found about spark here.
- Car racer – cars haven’t been released yet, but if you are a car fanatic, you will need spark in order to build cars, as well as power them, as spark is the token that will be able to charge the car when it runs out of energy. Read more here.
- Upland Uber Driver – people and things will need to be shipped between cities or cross-metaverse. A car and a minimal amount of spark to charge it should get you going, being able to provide your services to other business owners or players. It might help to own a property in many cities in order to have a place to park your car for free.
- Treasure hunter – This person is looking to win UPX or spark by finding treasures hidden across a city. To become a good treasure hunter, a player should have many (at least dozens) of properties scattered across a single city. Read our top 5 things you should know about treasure hunting here before getting started.
- Casual player – This player is looking to have a good time, and become part of a metaverse community. He will purchase UPX from time to time in order to buy more properties during new city releases. Earning money is secondary, and he enjoys owning properties and being part of a community. He is likely active in discord and is willing to make a deal if a good opportunity arises. If there is a special property he wants for sentimental value, he feels comfortable purchasing it even for USD. Make sure you join the Upland Guide Discord server to be up to date with our community.
- NFL Fanatic – This player is a huge fan of the NFL, one specific team or player. They will do everything to get Upland Legits NFTs, and find anything they can collect anything that is NFL related. He will likely stay close to his home team’s city and stadium and travel elsewhere as needed based entirely on his hunt for more NFTs.
- Business owner – Metaventures enable players to open stores within Upland. Maybe you are an NFT creator, or maybe you are looking to employ some. Selling block explorers, Legits, or other assets in the Metaverse is a great way to earn. To get started you will likely need a property in a highly frequented area as well as some initial capital in order to pay store fees and obtain inventory. You may not want to stop at one business, but have a series of businesses in several Upland cities. Check out the Upland Guide Business directory.
- Creator – Can you draw, or create 3D models? You can offer your services to other Uplanders or business owners. Add yourself to the Upland Guide User directory.
- Free to play (f2p) – this person is very very engaged in the community. In order to grow from nothing, he is willing to put in the time and effort to amass wealth. He recognizes that growing quickly is not a likely scenario, but he is willing to work hard to make it happen.
- Hybrid – Adopt what you like best from each of the styles above or create your own.
If you gave some thought to the styles of play above, your next step is to decide how much money you are comfortable investing in your first purchase. There is no need to purchase UPX immediately, however there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The Upland Guide is not financial advisors.
- Do not invest any money in the game that you cannot afford to lose. Do not expect to “get rich quick”. It can be done, but there are two sides to every coin. Expect to make mistakes as you begin to learn to play. Hopefully these mistakes won’t be big ones. Here are the basic new player mistakes to avoid.
- If you sign up for Upland with our referral code, remember that there are a number of promotions the Upland Guide offers you. You don’t have to capitalize on the bonuses immediately.
- If you are already thinking about how you are going to cash out, keep in mind that when listing a property for sale for USD you must have owned it for a minimum of 30 days, and 6 months for FSA properties. As you level up your status, the number of days decreases.
- The city you choose to start in is based on your initial strategy and the amount of money you are interested in starting with. Feel free to chat with us (click the blue button in the bottom right). Let us know your starting strategy and how much money you want to start with and we can advise a good starting city for you.